Web Monetization

Thanks @jesslynnrose for hooking us up (yet, again) with another great guest speaker today! I really enjoyed learning about web monetization with Alex Lakatos. I had no idea there were folks working on alternatives to traditional online advertising as a means of monetizing web traffic on one’s website. It reminded me a bit of what Brave browser has been doing with Brave Rewards. How similar/different is Interledger’s Web Monitization API from that of Brave Rewards?

Also, I want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly: In order to receive micropayments for web traffic, the individuals visiting your website need to be signed up for a web monetization provider such as Coil, right?

Thanks, again, for the great presentation, Alex!

1 Like

I don’t know a ton about Brave rewards, outside the fact that they weren’t actually passing the cash on to the stated recipients when the program started (https://twitter.com/tomscott/status/1279112966974177287?s=20) so I’ve avoided the browser, personally.

I’ve never used it before, but good to know! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry for the late reply, but I had the chance to watch the last guest session only yesterday. I was delighted by the whole discussion, since I’ve started to care more about privacy basically at the same time that I started to study coding.
Great to hear the mention of The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff and I would like to recommend this book: Who Owns the Future? - Wikipedia
It’s eight years old now, but I’ve found a lot of common points between this and the last session. :smiley:

1 Like