[Zoom Session] Week 3 - Practice, Passion, and Procrastination

Join our third Zoom session starting at 2022-01-31T15:00:00Z.

(If you want, you can us join 30 minutes before the session starts to chat and save your spot)

Session Q&A: To ask questions during the session, you can access our event on Slido.

In this meeting we’ll be discussing the topic for week three: Practice, Passion, and Procrastination.

“This week, we dive into one of students’ most common issues with their studies—procrastination. A common tool for business, the Pomodoro Technique , turns out to be also useful to help students of all ages focus their meditation. This is because the Pomodoro Technique makes masterful use of the brain’s focusing and relaxing modes of thinking. Judicious focusing and relaxing of one’s thoughts is also a great way to figure out difficult or frustrating concepts or problems.

But when it comes to studying, it’s important not only to focus and relax, but also to step back and look at the big picture of where the studies are headed. Is the common career advice for students to “follow your passion” always the best advice? And there are other bigger picture issues related to learning to help ensure our students approach their studies, projects, and tests with the best possible attitude and preparation?”

1 Like

Recording: here.

@Fabio Book on interesting Neuroscience:

@sonal The first Deafblind person to graduate from Harvard Law School, Haben Girma is a human rights lawyer advancing disability justice.

@Fabio This is more common than we think: One in eight people in the United States (13 percent, or 30 million) aged 12 years or older has hearing loss in both ears, based on standard hearing examinations.
-Approximately 12 million people 40 years and over in the United States have vision impairment, including 1 million who are blind, 3 million who have vision impairment after correction, and 8 million who have vision impairment due to uncorrected refractive error.

@sonal Barbara, your class is Uncommon sense teaching…so, nice to talk about how to teach disabled. A lot to learn for MOOC instructors.
Making accessible MOOC, not just to satisfy legal requirement, still creating inclusion in education that is for everyone is so much important.

@shr47k I have SSD. did not know till high school, but its blessed me with more focus / concentration than the average joe! It’s something called SIngle side deafness that I meant :slight_smile:

@brandon I’m a Section 508 Program Manager in the Federal government. Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act requires all Federal IT and electronic documents to be accessible to those with disabilities. It’s difficult because most private sector companies don’t address these needs effectively and most non-disabled folks are simply oblivious to the issues.

@sonal Brandon, MOOCs has a lot of potential to serve everyone, still, it is not reaching all types of disabilities effectively. Teachers like Barb can truly educate MOOC instructors about how to teach everyone!

@shr47k i love metaphors because it can pull people towards things they don’t know. Here is one for eg: Programming languages are like planets, each with its own atmosphere and properties( read semantics ), but they all revolve around the Sun( logic ).
I saw this metaphor on Coursera some years back and it really attracted some students by itself

@brandon You have to be careful with metaphors and analogies because they all break down at some point. I keep running into people who don’t LIKE the concept, but they attack the metaphor/analogy instead.

@keremkart Barb, I’m using Andrew Huberman’s advice of inserting micro-resting sessions: sessions inside of pomodoros such as I am closing my eyes and focus pn my breath for just 20-30 secs

@Fabio But how do we educate our students to be diligent about not multi-tasking with social media. Distraction is ubiquitous!

@conniehayek421589 I do workshops for college students and I start with a short meditation or have them do box breathing to help get them ready to take in information. Some students have started asking their instructors to do the same before lectures.

@Fabio 9 Health Benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushroom (Plus Side Effects)

@nielda Huberman’s podcast

@hiroyosaito2663406 Is the knowledge still stored all over the place or is it more organized after the knowledge is stored in the neocortex firmly with the help of hippocampi?

@sadiah2595423 Puja Agarval has some great suggestions in her book Powerful Teaching

@keremkart I saw Dr. Andrew Huberman’s talk in Barb’s Newsletter. I share the link for anyone who’d like to watch it. He has ideas in line with Barb’s tenet

@Fabio Julius Yego - Wikipedia

@sonal Many MOOC learners are learning a lot on their own…after getting instructions and watching engaging lectures ….they take quizzes on MOOCs, still application Is happening in their lives and many apply what they learn w/o even realizing!

@conniehayek421589 I work with college students in healthcare programs (nursing, paramedics, respiratory therapy, etc). How would one incorporate practice into the lectures, especially long lectures. (Some are 3-4 hour lectures.) Any suggestions?

@sonal I wish there are devices to wear during the class —that the teacher can see….how students are learning! Active learning —visualize active learning!

@sadiah2595423 Stanislas is working on portable MRI

@Fabio Connie, something I’ve done back in college is to have a shared document open with my classmates and we all jot down notes from the lecture. In the end, we had this huge/detailed document to review all the content. Then, I used to take pictures and add them to the document. Whenever it was possible, I also recorded the audio and also add to the folder along with this document.

That's it for today. See you all next week!
1 Like