[Week 1] Guest Session: Barbara Oakley & Zach Caceres! (Recording)

Hi everyone!

On Wednesday, Aug 25, we’ll have our first guest session. We’ll be joined by Prof. Barbara Oakley and senior software engineer Zach Caceres. They’ll ​tell us about how software developers can leverage their most important tool: their brain.

Barb is very dear to us. She teaches Learning How to Learn and Mindshift, two of the best online courses of all time. Several members of the Class Central team were mentors in her courses. And some of us, like @pat, were profiled in her book, Mindshift. She also introduced to me to @dhawal, which led to my job at Class Central. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Barb is a great person and a fantastic educator. Between her knowledge of education and Zach’s software engineering know-how, the presentation is bound to be very interesting for aspiring developers. So I strongly encourage you to attend the session. :wink:

You can find more details, including the session’s start time, in the Events page of the Bootcamp Portal:

https://www.classcentral.com/groups/webdev-bootcamp-fall-2021/events

Cheers

Guest Session Recording

The guest session has now concluded. Thank you all for joining!

You can watch the recording below on YouTube, or on Twitch if you prefer :wink: :

20 Likes

I took Learning How To Learn way back in 2014 when it first launched. Class Central wouldn’t have made it so far without the lessons I learnt in that course (some of which I still apply today). It was the first time I did a non-technical course and I was blown away. I am not the only one, you can found stories like mine across the internet.

Barb has almost 4 million students across her different courses and has also published multiple books.

Barb is an exceptional speaker and I am really excited to have her as our first guest speaker for the Bootcamp.

10 Likes

I’m such a big fan of Barb Oakley, I’ll be getting up at 2 am to experience the live stream, even though I can watch the recording later :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

Since I took Learning How To Learn in Coursera (couple years ago) I found the Pomodoro technique the best to start dealing myself with procrastination. It was one of first online self-paced course I took. Since then (and thanks to Barbara) I became a better learner.

It’s really amazing to have her on this Bootcamp. :blush:

5 Likes

What a nice surprise! Just started going through the Learning to learn course on Coursera. Love those tangeble, pragmatic tips on how to deal with procrastination and to learn more effectively. Pomodoro technique, test your knowledge and test some more, sleep, excercise etc. Most of it is not new, but a lot of it I probably heard so many times before without actually learning why it matters so much - so started to believe I could do without some of them (like who needs sleep anyway? :slight_smile:)

Looking forward to this session! Live or not

4 Likes

Y’all, I just wanted to show off how cool Zach’s website, look at how great this is

https://zach.dev/

15 Likes

The first guest session is starting! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Wow I like the way the site has been structured

2 Likes

The first guest session has now conclude. You can find links to the recording at the top. :wink:

1 Like

Wow! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
I loved this presentation so much! I am a bit of a psychology/effective living hobbyist :yum:, and am really looking forward to integrating some of their points. I’m sad I didn’t get to be there live, but the recording will do. Thank you so much for organizing and providing this to the bootcamp!

Pomodoro for life! :tomato:

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I think I’ll try that course

2 Likes

Is there a link to the slides of this guest presentation specialy the ones from Zach please?

I’m sorry that we don’t have slides available from this presentation.

Thank you for your answer, I rewatched the recording and added the missing parts to my notes.

It was an inspiring and thought provoking session.