Good computer for coding

What is a great computer for coding? I’m on a budget so one that is not too expensive.

What about a Raspberry Pi 4 B with 8 gig of memory? It runs VS Code, Phyton, NodeJS server, etc. and is Linux based. It is really a budget option and if you just want to study, I will say it is perfect. As an experiment I did a whole JS, React, Python, Flask course on one and it worked. The only problem I have encountered is with MongoDB. MongoDB does not provide a Raspberry OS version. If you want to use MongoDb load Ubuntu on the Raspberry Pi. I did that and I’m aiming to set it up as a webserver for testing purposes.
A setup for professional purposes would be another story.

2 Likes

Well, I guess that depends on what you want to do.

Basically, if you just want to write HTML, CSS and Javascript, you could do this in the simplest text editor, save the files as .html, .css or .js and upload them to your webspace and you have a perfect website. (If there are no mistakes in the code.)

What I’m trying to say, if you’re a great coder, you can write good code on a crappy computer, if you’re bad at coding, the greatest, most expensive equipment will not make you a coding expert.
An expensive car will not make you a good driver.

So don’t worry about being on a budget.

The question is: What do you want to do? What exactly do you need it for? Just coding? Which languages?
A computer for gaming will need a good graphics card, do you need that for writing lines of code?
Would you like a desktop pc and two big screens?
Or prefer a laptop so you can take it to different places?
What are the system requirements of the software you intend to use?

Personally, I’d recommend not using a tiny screen, if it’s a laptop, go for 17" screen size.
You might look for some second-hand equipment on ebay.
Or, if it’s cheaper, get a barebone and install linux, it’s free.
(There are a lot of light-weight linux distributions that will run on older systems.)

But this is just my personal opinion as a learner, I’m not an expert.

Sorry, I cannot recommend any specific systems, I don’t know your budget or what computers cost in your area or if a specific model is even available in your country.

But for example, my own equipment: I have a desktop computer, bought 2016, with Intel Core i7-6700, GeForce GTX 960, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD and a 21.5" screen (big enough for me) and an old netbook from my brother, 4GB, 12"(?) screen and linux mint, which I hardly ever use, it’s just in case I need something mobile from time to time. - If I could afford something new, I’d go for more RAM and a silent system, I hate the noise it’s making…
But I think it’s still a good computer.

3 Likes

I’m looking for a laptop to do web dev.

I use a laptop with a FHD screen but when coding I use a FHD 24’ screen and a separate bluetooth keyboard. The laptop is on a stand, and I use it as a second screen for other stuff. It is an i7 and I also run my webserver to test the web sites on it. As well as my DB servers (MySQL and MongoDB).
I forgot to say that my laptop has 8gig of memory and it starts to suffer when I throw Docker into the mix.

1 Like

This is very good advice. If you are just learning, you can buy a used or refurbished laptop or desktop for a low price and download a free text editor or coding editor, like Notepad++ or VS Code. I too like a large screen but it is not necessary. I have a refurbished Dell desktop and refurbished large ASUS monitor, the two together cost about $400 US and came with keyboard, mouse, and MS Windows 10. I also have an old HP netbook/bare bones laptop that I got from a computer repair shop which cost about $100 US. I did plain HTML/CSS/JS with either of these, and also CMS development with WordPress as a freelancer.

If you have a job or freelance clients, your needs will depend on what technology your employer or client wants you to use. My work provides a system with more power which you might need if you were using a more complex development environment with things like npm, React or other frameworks, etc. But if you have a job, the computer will hopefully come with it!

3 Likes

Another thing to consider is Windows 11. It won’t run on older equipment. My laptop is perfect for my needs, but I can’t upgrade to Windows 11.

Does anybody even want Windows 11 right now??

2 Likes

Maybe not, but you know what’s going to happen soon. And security will be used as justification.