The trouble with projects

Hi everyone, just wondering how many people struggle to come up with the answers to the FCC projects on their own? It’s cool to code along with @hola_soy_milk, he really breaks down the problem and helps you to see the steps required to solve them. But all the years I’ve been learning to code and I still struggle with moving from learning the language fundamentals to the practical applications found in the projects. Partially it’s because I’m lazy, but I wonder if I also could do with following along with project-based tutorials?

5 Likes

Thank you so much for bringing this up, Gary!

In my experience, different folks learn better in different ways. Being exposed to problem solving steps can be really powerful for some, not so much for others.

During the lessons, I try my best to break the problem down and show how I come up with solutions, especially given that these can be tricky at first glance and hard to imagine how these would come up in real life applications (even though I would argue they have on numerous occasions throughout my career!), and have even gotten stuck in the past during this very bootcamp!

If you’re getting done with language fundamentals then I would absolutely recommend trying your hand at a project. Sometimes looking up ideas for projects on a search engine is a great starting point. If you feel that itch to create something but may be doubting if you’re ready for the next step, I’d love to add that you’re totally ready to start creating something, and those fundamentals will only get reinforced from that practice.

Best of luck!

7 Likes

Hi Gary!

I understand where you’re coming from. I struggled with JavaScript about a year ago. I was learning the fundamentals but couldn’t see where it was going. I switched over to learning Python, because I found a great project-based course. That’s helped me so much this JS go around, because I do know now how these tools are used in creating things - the ultimate goal.

I’ve been doing the exercises before the streams. Sometimes taking so long, and hints too, to solve them. But then I code along with the lessons as both a review and a way to solidify things. Ramon’s explanations help so much! A good teacher makes all the difference!

Also try projects. Follow tutorials, but pause and try to come up with ways to do it before seeing the solution. I’ve even found that I can add extra features to the tutorial projects I find. If I get stuck, I just put it on hold until I learn more. We have learned so much that I find I can build more than I would’ve thought!

Good luck!

10 Likes

I agree completely about doing the exercises before the class. I think you get more out of the class that way. You know what it is about and where you did not fully get it. You can focus on what is being presented because you are not still trying to understand the exercise. And when you do get stuck, and I do, you have time to stand back and try again.

5 Likes

I understand where you are coming from. I’ve spent the better part of the last few years trying to figure out JavaScript. I got stuck in “tutorial hell”, and I actually took a break from coding for about a year because I felt so hopeless.

This time around, I’m trying a new method. I know I learn best in a classroom setting (the prerecorded, structured, non-interactive style of online tutorials just doesn’t work for me), so I joined this bootcamp. I don’t get to watch the streams live due to my time zone, but this allows me to pause each video and attempt to solve it before watching Ramón show us his solution. Sometimes I get it right, often I don’t. But each time, I learn what works and what doesn’t. I learn more about how my mind processes JS logic, and how a professional like Ramón does it.

It’s still not easy, but I’ve understood it far better this time around than I ever have, and I don’t feel hopeless about learning this language.

I hope my story helps you. Your learning style may be different from mine, but keep on going and I’m sure it will all become clear in time.

8 Likes

I would like to share this excellent article about this topic:

Hope this is helpful :wink:

5 Likes

Good advice on a project level.

If you struggle to get started on a function level, I will say pseudo code or an activity/process diagram to clear your thoughts on how to structure your code logic.

2 Likes

This has been very helpful to me having to think of pseudo code or an activity/process and comment it as i progress in coding challenges. Ramon does this too and it really encouraged me.

2 Likes

Hi Gary,

Sharing from my own experiences

• Following along with project-based tutorials, will NOT help you at all.
  • Doing above prevents you using our own brain / mind; instead you’ll be doing machine work which doesn’t use its own mind.
  • You need to understand how to break down problem into smallest piece possible and then google it, try it and build on top of it.
  • This way it helps to train your brain about building projects from scratch, it hurts a lot initially, it’s painful a lot but this is the only way to learn programming.
  • You need callous your mind, just like new guitar player does to his/her fingers while learning to play it. Just watching YT video of someone playing won’t help at all
  • Please check below videos

Let me know if you need any further help.

Best,
Vikram

4 Likes