Copyright issues with Technical Documentation Projects

Hey folks.

Just starting the technical documentation project and the question of copyright infringement came up (again…).
So I assume I’m not the only one who’s just going to copy and paste a load of content for this project, right?
For example, thinking of doing mine on Flexbox but I don’t want to reinvent the wheel and write everything from scratch. Especially as the point of the exercise is the building and layout of the page rather than writing technical content.

Does anyone know if it’s ok to copy snippets of codes and text content from other websites and articles? It seemed no bother for the tribute page with just one image from the public domain. But this is quite a lot.
Would it be appropriate to include a reference/credits section at the bottom with links to all the sites you took from?

Edit:
I actually just took the time to scroll all the way to the bottom of the example page and there is actually a reference section.
I also just talked to someone about it and again, it seems as long as you’re not making money from it or trying pass it off as your own original work, it’s fine.

2 Likes

I used a lot of illustrations for my techdoc project, but they were all public domain. I did add a link to the bottom, although I don’t think it is required. I think it depends on what you are trying to do. I searched Creative Commons and Google until I found something I wanted to use.

Here is an article I found to be really helpful.

And my techdoc page, if that’s helpful.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks, for the helpful article. Your techdoc page looks great btw. Well done!

1 Like

You’re welcome and thank you!