Do I need to learn something before HTML?

Am I the only one who has no idea where to place things and what their technical names are? I’m finding it difficult to complete the steps because I don’t know that “<a href” should be followed by an “=” sign.

A better example is Step 14, " Turn the image into a link by surrounding it with necessary element tags. Use https://freecatphotoapp.com as the anchor’s href attribute value." How would I know what this means without having any experience before the HTML class?

1 Like

Step 21 - " There should be an img element right above the second section element’s closing tag." no clue what this means haha

You might want to read about Elements, Attributes, and Tags. Here is one resource that I found out: HTML Tags vs Elements vs Attributes: What’s the Difference? : Programming and Development Blog | Stone River eLearning

2 Likes

You’re totally right, there is a bit of assumed familiarity in the course. I imagine It’s likely difficult for the folks writing the course content to put themselves in the seat of someone who has never looked at any html.

Consider popping into the Discord too as you may get some quick help there. And yea, you’d probably be thankful for looking up a brief basics intro. Also if you watch the course videos with Jess, that should make things a little more human understandable.

2 Likes

I think the regular course explains exactly what to do a bit more for beginners, but the beta version is trying to use the terminology more and force learners to do a bit more thinking. It’s harder at first, but I think the intent is to help you understand the concepts better. MDN is your friend!

3 Likes

Thank you, all! Each of you have given me positive insight and I appreciate that. I found an app called Mimo that slowly explains these terms and structures. I have signed up for Discord and will dive into terminology. I might also try the regular course first then hop into the beta version.

3 Likes

The is a link tag. So to make the img a link, simply put the img inside the like or outside.
E.g

2 Likes

I noticed this. I know some html and thought that this would be really difficult for someone with no exposure.
The very first category in the list of courses on FCC is probably something that would benefit your journey in my opinion.

1 Like

Yes we are in the same boat, took me some time to understand what is element, tags, attributes, nesting, etc and many more…I just kept going and going and I noticed the pattern and started to learn what is the meaning of these words. But I am still crawling my way I have so much more to learn in terms of wordings etc…

1 Like

It’s harder at first, but I think the intent is to help you understand the concepts better.

Well, that’s why I think both curriculums together are a great solution. You can just start with the old one and then move to the new. The old one just introduces the concepts and the new one has this project-based approach.

I’ve never really understood where all those hundreds of hours come from. You can do the old curriculum in the couple of hours really. The same with JS. To really learn to do something with that you need something else than those exercises. And there was a gap that the new curriculum fixes very well. Now you can see how you can really manipulate those things and why they didn’t work out for you at first. That e.g. you need to change display property for a picture in order to center it.

But still, the old one is great as an introduction.

1 Like

I started with zero background at all!! Over the weekend before we started, I went through the original course myself (not the beta one) and it gave me enough info to take the first live stream onboard! If I hadn’t done that, I would have been lost

2 Likes

What is the difference between HTML and HTML5?

Well, it’s still the html language which purpose is to build content for the web. It was just totally re-made in order to follow tech development. In the past if you used html, you would usually need to specify its version, e.g. 4.01. The declaration was like:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> taken from here

You can look in here for more detailed differences.

1 Like

There is a lot to learn but keep at it and it will sink in, I promise. It is normal to feel overwhelmed…most of the time lol. There are a lot of apps you may benefit from as well.

Check out mimo. It’s been good to me.

1 Like

When we refer to HTML today, it’s typically the latest version HTML5. Like kuska said, you typically declare the version, and with the latest version, HTML means HTML5. If it’s not HTML5, then you declare the earlier version that’s used. It’s a good question for Jess if that’s not making sense.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your prompt response Kuska

1 Like

Thank you very much for your prompt response monicajasper

1 Like

I have reviewed mime, I find it interesting, thank you very much for your help

If you want to learn the lingo a little better may I suggest the online book Interneting Is Hard It’s a good book and should get you up to speed on everything you need to know. HTML, CSS, and JS all have different semantics. Properties, attributes, tags, elements, functions, variables…It’s all apart of the game, it’s up to you to know what they are and how to decipher it.

2 Likes

¡De nada Jesus!

The pro version is great but you can learn a lot just from free version.

Happy to help anytime.

1 Like