[4th Zoom Session] With Astrophysicist Dr. Nimesh Patel

Join our fourth Zoom session starting at 2022-01-28T15:00:00Z.

(Feel free to join us 30 minutes earlier to chat and set up your Zoom before we start the session!)

Dr. Nimesh is an astrophysicist and a project engineer working for the Submillimeter Array, since 1994, and the Greenland Telescope, since 2012. His research interests include molecular astrophysics, evolved stars, interstellar medium, star-formation, astrophysical masers, radio interferometry, high-speed analog to digital conversion, antenna pointing, and metrology. He is an instructor for the Harvard undergraduate laboratory astrophysics course, Astronomy 191 and is involved in the development of various educational projects for 21 cm wavelength radio astronomy. He is also a member of the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) collaboration and participating in the development of the Next Generation EHT. His current work on the Greenland telescope is explored in this Documentary made by Taiwan TV.

Dr. Nimesh will be joining us on the zoom session today, so bring your questions and make the best out of this opportunity.

See you there, bye!

2 Likes

Session recording: here.

@Fabio

@Mervyn Atacama Large Millimeter Array - Wikipedia

@Fabio

-What other types of interference from electronic devices in general?
-What kind of astronomical objects can be studied with that technology?

@hhliu Wi-Fi is 2.4 and 5 GHz
-Standard sampling rates for MP3 etc. are 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz

@Fabio That’s a silly question, but can we listen to the universe using the telescope and converting the measumerents to sound?

@hhliu I think so! We do that with whale songs, which are too low to hear
-The second is defined in terms of atomic oscillations of cesium

@Mervyn I want to hear what a black hole sounds like

@hhliu Haha not exactly relaxing

@Mervyn Betelgeuse - Wikipedia
Interferometry - Wikipedia

@hhliu There’s overlap between astrophysics and particle physics now isn’t there? E.g. quantum gravity, early universe - New video from yesterday:

@Fabio What if we had infrared + radiowaves vision??? How would we see the sky at night???

@hhliu

@sonal Suggestion for next Cohort: https://www.coursera.org/learn/arctic-introduction-climate

2 Likes

Thanks Fabio!
I have a question related to sending message. Seems, if I initiate a message, I do not see that!
Yesterday I sent a message to you and Mervyn and I do not see my message! Do you see that? It was about another class from Univ from Alberta —— Bugs 101 —- an interesting topic for the Science Friday!
Did you get my message?!

@Fabio @Mervyn

Some very amateur astrophotography I attempted using an iPhone last November, when Nimesh and Sonal kindly invited me to use their telescope!

Our beautiful moon

Higher magnification to see craters

Jupiter and 3 of its 4 Galilean moons

Saturn and its rings

Nimesh and Sonal, the nicest folks :slight_smile:

7 Likes

thanks for sharing @hhliu !

@Fabio @Mervyn @dhawal @manoel @pat

Haihao has taken these photos with his cellphone through our telescope lens! :slight_smile:
These are photos of Jupiter with its 3 moons, Sturn with its rings, and our moon! We had a great observing night near our home in Cambridge!

5 Likes

Amazing results with a telescope and phone!

3 Likes

Amazing captures! Absolutely love the saturn image with its rings.

1 Like