What's Your Definition of Happiness?

There is no agreed upon definition of happiness, but most of us must have some idea of what it means. So, the question is, how would you define happiness for yourself?

For me, happiness lies in trying to understand the workings of the world.

7 Likes

To me, happiness is being content with what you have. It’s that moment in which if time were to stop, that wouldn’t be such a bad thing. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Happiness to me is being surrounded by my family and caring friends.

5 Likes

In this moment, happiness for me is feeling I am and have enough, that I don’t need to be always chasing for more, that I can help others and my life has meaning.

8 Likes

This was a beautiful way of explaining how you feel.

2 Likes

Happiness to me is being aligned with nature and in synchronicity with it, where time does not really matter and is not measured. Where you are one in all that vast of beauty of ski, trees, air, space. Is being out there in one.

3 Likes

My life has meaning, which brings me happiness!

3 Likes

Happiness to me is still being alive after addiction. Being a mother to my 15 year old daughter, who turns, Sweet 16, in August. And, being a mother to my son, who passed away in 2013 with cerebral palsy with extensive brain damage. He lived 17 years, only knowing love. Happiness to me is haved lived the life I have and still be able to use my examples of appreciation to life, to help others who need someone.

11 Likes

I think happiness is a state within of calmness or peace, of love, contentment and expressed outwardly as bliss towards people, animals and nature

4 Likes

I feel the same way.

1 Like

For me happiness is Serenity. Surprisingly after 6 years of taking Alohaf, the basic theme remains the same.
For me, happiness is being able to live my life as it unfolds, without expecting something unfolding in a particular way, being able to accept wholeheartedly what is whilst riding the roller coaster of life.

6 Likes

Very well said. You have an amazing persona of life.

1 Like

Thanks @Hamish for this question. For me happiness are short moments of bliss. I most often them experience them in nature, with (my) animals or when I have a meaningful conversation. For the long term my hapinness augments when I manage to be really mindful, in the moment and, like @manoel I am content with what is and what I have.

3 Likes

ALOHA!
As quiet a few participants have observed, Happiness is a state of mind where you don’t have negative thoughts. For it, one should be contended with what you have and should not be prejudiced or influenced by what others have. One should also remain calm and control one’s anger for achieving it

3 Likes

I think the absence of negative thoughts doesn’t make one happy. Emotional diversity is important for human behaviour. Mostly how we narrate/explain a situation to ourselves generates emotion, positive or negative. As I understand, our focus is also important, isn’t that is why we say optimistic people are happier.

4 Likes

Happiness is… love and connection and caring… acceptance of what is… gratitude for all i have … joy for being alive and living this moment completely.

2 Likes

Happiness in the actual sense is the absence of all kind of worry.
It is just a temporal feeling

2 Likes

What gives your life meaning? Is it something you can share with us?

1 Like

Yes! I only wish I could maintain all of that at every moment. That’s the work for me. Acceptance and joy for being alive sometimes disappears or hides, and negative thoughts emerge causing me to feel less happy. As we have learned, one of the deadly sins is needing to control things instead of accepting things. I look forward to learning more about that sin and the habit that will help me avoid that sin.

1 Like

Yes, contentment and appreciation for even the seemingly small things in our lives that are good and beautiful.

1 Like