What's something simple that makes you happy? 🙂

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, @Hamish asked us how we’d define happiness. I had to ponder for a while before answering. It’s a short question, but it’s also a hard one — for me, at least.

To me, happiness is one of those concepts that are more easily explained through examples. I may find it difficult to define happiness, but I certainly know happiness when I feel it. Perhaps we’re all like that.

So today I wanted to ask: what’s something simple in life that makes you happy? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ll go first.

My cat makes me happy. His name is Pepito. I work from home, so he’s almost always with me. Everytime I see him, I smile. He’s a good cat. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re wondering, he’s rolled into a blanket. We call it a Pepito Burrito. He loves being tucked in. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

Being with family, especially my husband, daughter, and grandsons.

8 Likes

I’ve been thinking about happiness for the last few days and I came up with a similar answer –

That’s Timmy, he was a stray that showed up in front of the house one day and said, “I live here now”. He and I were together during the lockdown.

7 Likes

Responding to the last 2 comments-- I try not to attach my happiness to another human being, their presence in my life, especially, it is better for my mental health! 2nd, my cat, Bitsy, has helped me tremendously during Covid restrictions! She always told me when she needs to eat, play, nap on my stomach, and go outside, and these patterns and routines created some order in my empty days last year. I will attach a photo of her!

8 Likes

After Covid, my answer is simple: a hug!

5 Likes

I will not say that doing something immersive makes me happy but it adds to my feeling of Serenity and adds meaning to my life (my definition of happiness). Last year while there was lockdown, the managing committee of a local park, where I go for my walks, decided to give the park new looks for post lockdown opening. I learnt this art, Warli, to be able to contribute. This kind of work is meditative, gives a flow experience and you are with “yourself”. This was on the wall of the storage room. I also painted a few benches. So happiness for me is spending time creatively and learning something new.

10 Likes

So many simple things: a morning latte, a purring kitty, sunshine, summer rain, learning something new, a chance to just be…

This reminds me of my daily gratitude practice.

Raylin

9 Likes

Can you tell us where this style of painting originated? and how you learned what to paint? Beautiful, always in favor of hands-on crafts of any kind! I sew, make jewelry, finishing old wooden furniture–that’s what makes me happy: Fixing something that is broken so it can be used once more!

6 Likes

Drinking my coffee to start my day, no matter what it brings to, I’m ready to fight.

9 Likes

Painting, singing and the animals make me happy. True joy I find in God.

6 Likes

Life sometimes is too fast and we get busy and forget to reflect and give thanks. But one simple thing that makes me happy apart from my children, is simply the ability to take walks by myself or with my cousin and watching butterflies and ladybugs in nature.

7 Likes

Babies! I adore these tiny humans so much.

Obligatory photo of my manager Luke, who might join to supervise future Zoom sessions.

10 Likes

So many things! Interacting with people from other cultures is at the top of my list. I’m a teacher of English to speakers of other languages and so I am fortunate to be able to do this easily. It’s my life. And I don’t just interact with others in the role of teacher. Many long and enduring friendships have formed and technology has made it easier to stay in touch. I feel so grateful to have had the career I’ve had because I love everything about it.

6 Likes

Yes! They help me see the wonder of the world and to live in the present moment. I love babies too!

4 Likes

Wow! This is so beautiful! I also love the meditative feeling of embroidering, and making it for the community to enjoy enhances that experience, I imagine. Add to that the piece about learning something new really would make for a very happy feeling.

6 Likes

Hi,
It makes me happy to spend an afternoon watchin TV with my son, eat some popcorn and just be there for each other.

Greetings from Guatemala

7 Likes

@Margo this is the tribal art of the place where I am currently staying.

I learnt it by watching a Youtube video for basics.
I checked the patterns on Instagram.
Then based on where to paint, a design can be improvised or a few mixed.
For example this one at the entrance

Or this one on the very first visible bench

Yes, giving a makeover to things to make them beautiful and useful was the purpose here.

7 Likes

Yes, I’ve had very similar experiences as you have while working in the field of language teaching, Sayavedl. It’s often a profession that people “fall into” rather than having dreams of being a language teacher and I am wondering if it was the same for you? In other words, what brought you to this career path? Greetings from Germany

4 Likes

A blue sky, the smell of freshly cut grass, reading a good book (especially coming across that sentence or phrase that really ‘speaks’ to me or gives me a moment of serendipity), sitting on a beach and staring at the waves, a cheese sandwich, teaching a class where flow takes over and time becomes warped.

10 Likes