Welcome to Science Fridays: Black Holes! + Introductions

hi Rainer, welcome to this cohort of passionate learners, all interested in space and much more!

Looking forward to this. Have an amateur love of space and I think my favourite has to be nebula and supernova.

5 Likes

welcome, Tanith! Nice to have you here!

@dhawal Welcome to the Cohort!!
@pat welcome! Saturn is definitely one of the most interesting planets out there, also Thanos from the Marvel cinematic universe was born on one of Saturn’s moons Titan XD
@sloopie72 Glad to have you join us and the Moon is awesome! Sometimes when I look at the moon I stand there in awe for a few seconds, typing this makes me want to go out and look at the moon lol
@rainerrodrigu2192904 Glad that you could tag along on this journey, the scale/vastness of the universe is plain ridiculous
@tanithburcomb2678089 Welcome! Supernovas and Nebulas are truly fascinating and beautiful; Cat’s eye nebula is just beautiful to look at

1 Like

@Mervyn, as we wait for the official start date for this class – when I joined this class on Coursera, I learned about another interesting class from the Univ. of Alberta, ‘Introduction to Artic: Climate’ —a nice topic for the Science Fridays and also one more great class from Univ of Alberta!

Well, since this is the class on Black Holes, and as promised, I will invite my husband to join at some point, and believe me he can even answer questions on his work in Greenland —that is observing the Black Hole from Greenland telescope (which is part of the Event Horizon network of Telescopes on earth).

Here is the video of the Greenland telescope –, I shared earlier.

He is doing science from the Arctic, so his experience there too will be interesting to share. Taiwan TV has made a very nice movie there, I will find out and will share the link here.

Happy New Year to all!

what do you think?
@Fabio @dhawal

2 Likes

Hello to fellow sky-gazers (cheezy enough :stuck_out_tongue: ),

This is Aditya from Bengaluru(India), looking forward to re-kindle my space fascination with this course.
Interstellar was an amazing experience and though I have read many reddit posts behind the science of it, I am excited to be a part of this cohort/course.

May the light be with us all! (unless there’s a blackhole nearby :smiley: )

4 Likes

Hi Adi, Welcome! Light will be with all of us. It will follow us! we are all stars in the world of social learning and we will make the world of MOOCs shine! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Tanith, nice to meet you.

1 Like

Welcome @adi excited to have you join us, I love sky-gazers but star-gazers sounds cooler imo :sweat_smile:
and yes may the light be with us XD

1 Like

Hello, all!

I’m stoked to make it to whatever class time I can (lands during my work hours). I’m a Canadian artist (writer/actor/photographer by trade, filmmaker by moonlight).

As a proper Leo, I’m obsessed with the sun (half my insta shots track it); I’m also fond of the moon for being a sneaky illusionary artist, aping the Sun’s brilliance; and I’ve got a soft spot for Venus, showing herself to the naked eye so much of the time.

Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Cheers,
Caleigh

4 Likes

That would be unbelievably awesome if he can participate as a guest to take some questions and talk about his experience in the telescope! I hope we can make that happen until the end of the Cohort!

2 Likes

Yes, sure we will make it happen! :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to the cohort! @caleighlegran2686281
For me Venus is the weird one[the whole clockwise rotaing thing] but the universe is also weird so… I guess its normal.
It feels so good to spot planets in the sky with our naked eye. I once saw mars back in 2018, and been a fan ever since.

please ignore the abysmal quality of the picture lol

4 Likes

Jupiter and Venus are also very easy to spot…if the sky is clear. Venus will also show phases like the moon…

3 Likes

I’m really looking forward to taking Astro 101 in conjunction with this group. I’m taking this course so I can understand some of the conversation that will result as the first information is transmitted back to earth from the Webb Telescope. I was first introduced to Class Central with Mountains 101 and know that this is going to be another great learning opportunity.

6 Likes

Hello, fellow Astrophysics enthusiasts, I am a high schooler who has some level of interest in physics and the theory of general relativity fascinates me. My name is saksham, I’m from India btw. Hope we all have a great time learning together

6 Likes

hi Saksham - I love it when high schoolers (and even younger!) show up on moocs, it’s such a great resource for learning. I look forward to going through the course with you.

3 Likes

@Janice2 welcome aboard! glad you can join us on another cohort. It’s amazing to be alive at this moment which could change the course of humanity, Future is now with James Webb.
@sakshamsrivas2679756 Welcome fellow enthusiast! glad to have join us :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi Janice, we are all waiting for the first images from JWST! Nice to meet you here.

3 Likes

nice to meet you Saksham! Which grade are you in?

2 Likes