Week 5: Final ‘Live’ Session with David Hik

This is final official week of the Mountains 101 Study Group, and next Thursday (17 June) at 0800 Pacific Time we will have one more ‘live’ conversation to wrap up the course. @manoel will send out the link in a few days.

The final three lessons (10, 11, 12) include #10: Animal Adaptation to Mountains; #11 Mountains Use and Preservation; and #12 Future Mountains.

One link that might be useful if you are interested in other resources about mountain education is a new volume of Mountain Research and Development (Vol 40, No 4): How Can Education Contribute to Sustainable Mountain Development?. The articles present examples and insights from around the world and cover a wide range of formal and informal education at all levels, including practical training and lifelong learning opportunities (direct open access link here).

So I am looking forward to hearing about your favourite and memorable aspects of the course, and maybe even your favourite mountain! See you on the discussion board and hopefully next Thursday if you can make it.

5 Likes

Here’s the link for today’s live session:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84421661767?pwd=NXdsdlN2ZUdFdUJlQ016R0FwdTM0dz09

Hope to see many of you there. :wink:

Update: The live session is over. If you couldn’t attend, no worries, I’ll shortly email the link. :wink:

Thanks everyone for joining the discussion today. It has been lots of fun getting to know you over the past few weeks. And I look forward to our next live session on International Mountain Day - 11 December (see International Mountain Day | Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and http://internationalmountainday.ca).

Details to follow from the Class Central team.

In the meantime, here are some of the slides from today’s discussion.

take care
David

2 Likes

Likewise, David. It’s been a lot of fun. Thank you so much. See you on Mountain Day! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you very much, especially for the last session @DavidHik, I find it very challenging to talk about climate change in a positive (but respectful) way, nevertheless you did exactly that!
Btw @DavidHik, you mentioned the tipping point of climate change, is there a way to define that? And what would happen, had we crossed it? (in case it is possible to make such prediction)
I apologize if I’m too late with questions, since the course ended last week.

P.S.: I very much admired your zen-like backyard

2 Likes

Hi @jirim - thanks for your participation in Mountains 101, and I am glad you enjoyed it. Keep the questions coming! I’ll check in here every now and then, or just email me directly.

It is tough to talk about climate change - we need to be clear about the risks, but also the solutions. There are lots of solutions, but some of them are not easy because it requires systems-level changes at all levels, and significant global cooperation. There are many disparities between countries that make conversations about equity, history/colonialism, wealth, knowledge sharing, governance, etc just as important as the science of climate change. Probably more important.

With respect to tipping points, there was a nice piece in the Guardian today about that, the IPCC process and the lead up to COP26 in November. We need more work to understand how to avoid crossing tipping points, and this is where some of the work by Johan Rockström and colleagues become important - Johan Rockström: 10 years to transform the future of humanity -- or destabilize the planet | TED Talk

I am also part of an NGO called Arctic Basecamp, and we are working with all sorts of partners to raise awareness about the risks of climate change, but also some of the solution spaces. And trying to reach diverse audiences too (e.g. our Make Earth Cool Again Science Jam in January - Davos Agenda 2021 - Arctic Basecamp at the World Economic Forum).

Anyhow, hope this provides a bit of additional perspective. David

4 Likes