Week 2: 'Live' Session with David Hik

Hi everyone

We will have a second ‘live’ session next Tuesday at 1300 Pacific time (GMT/UTC -8). You are all welcome to join, and just like this week our conversation will be recorded and posted in case you are unable to participate in person. @manoel will provide the zoom link later on.

The three Lessons that we will cover this week include: Lesson 4: Bodies at Altitude; Lesson 5: Water Towers; and Lesson 6: Glaciers.

To provide some focus to this weeks ‘live’ session I thought it would be useful to provide a few additional resources to guide our conversation. In particular, I thought we could talk about what Zac has been experiencing over the past days during their successful climb of Mt Logan (5959 m) - they reached the summit on Tuesday.

We probably won’t be able to connect with Zac directly, but other climbers and scientists have documented what conditions are like at high altitude. Listen to Dr. Melanie Windridge talk about her May 2018 climb of Mt Everest: How does it feel to climb Mount Everest? Physiology and medicine at high altitude - YouTube

An improved understanding of high altitude physiology, acclimatisation and nutrition was instrumental in getting Hillary and Tenzing to the top of Everest in 1953. But why does the human body shut down at high altitude? How does it feel to climb Everest? And what medical care is available on the mountain? Melanie talks to volunteer doctors Carlo Canepa and Suvash “Dawa” Dawadi to find out about the dangers of altitude sickness and the ailments of climbers on the world’s highest mountain.

April and May is the usual season for climbing Mt Everest, but the recent, devastating increase in covid-19 cases in Nepal has certainly placed this climbing season into doubt. See: Everest Covid outbreak throws climbing season into doubt | Mount Everest | The Guardian and Several Everest Climbers Test Positive for Covid - The New York Times

I might also say a few things about one of my other projects, Mountains of Relief https://www.mountainsofrelief.org. With our partners in Nepal we are helping to organize the distribution of emergency food aid in remote mountain villages, but even this has been prevented by the current lock-down restrictions.

Hope to see you on Tuesday if you can make it (and of course in the Study Group chat all week).
David

9 Likes

I hope that you all have a good meeting. It will be 3am here in Thailand and I will no doubt be soundly asleep at that time. I’ll have to watch the recording later, if provided.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

The Week 2 Live Session will begin in a few hours, at 1pm Pacific Time.

We’ll open the meeting room around 12:30pm PT for those that may want to join early. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Here’s the link to join the session on Zoom:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89882016003?pwd=a3hHeEo0VUQwV0lQbHNUY2VOMFJSQT09

(If you haven’t used Zoom before, here’s how to set it up.)

Update:

This week’s live session is over. Thank you to all the participants! I’ll include a link to the recording in today’s weekly email for those that couldn’t attend.

Hope to see many you in next week’s live session. In the meantime, happy learning! :slight_smile:

Here is a more recent article about the Everest base camp Covid outbreak:

I look forward to the live session later today!

1 Like

Thanks @DavidHik for the fantastic session. Please post the slides when you get time.

P.S. I donated a small amount to Mountains of Relief. Hope this helps a bit.

2 Likes

Hi all - thanks for the great discussion earlier today. Attached are some of the slides I showed. Appears I can only upload jpegs so have just included some of the more interesting bits we discussed. However, as usual, the recording will be available shortly.

4 Likes

Thanks @dhawal. Very much appreciated. And I decided it might be better to talk more about Mountains of Relief next week or the week after. There seemed to be lots to discuss today…

3 Likes

Thanks for the wonderful Live session! <3

2 Likes

This was a terrific session, thank you so much David, and all participants!

2 Likes