Week 1 - Live session with Nicky Bull [Ended]

Hello everyone! :wave:

Hope everyone is having a great week!

In a few hours, we’ll have our first study group Zoom session with Nicky, the instructor of Excel Fundamentals for Data Analysis.

The session will start at 2021-06-23T11:00:00Z in your local time. We will open the Zoom room 30 minutes before the session to get to know each other. Join in!

Here’s the link to join the session : [session ended]

If you haven’t used Zoom before, here’s how to set it up .

Hope to see many of you there! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello Heba,

May I have link to the recording of Week 1 Live Session?

Is it still available on Class Central YouTube channel?

Thanks so much!
Michelle

1 Like

Hello @MichelleNg, have you received the link to the Live Session? If not, please send me a message and I will send you the link.

To send a message, click on my name, then the Message button.

I hope you are enjoying the course :slightly_smiling_face:

I watched the Video and I tried to practice what Nicky did. for me, CHAR function didn’t work and I have to use UNICHAR which work. My version is Excle 2019. But CHAR is worked for “Group” application. Same issue with Exercies files in the Lessons.

2 Likes

Hi @morgan do you mean CHAR wouldn’t work in the example Nicky used in the first 30 minutes of the video? I also have Excel 2019, but CHAR worked when I duplicated Nicky’s example.

But I suppose if CHAR doesn’t work and UNICHAR does, you might as well stick to UNICHAR. I think CHAR only works for character unicode numbers up to 255, whereas UNICHAR works for many more.

I’m still learning the basics of Excel, so if anyone knows a better answer, or why the function didn’t work for Morgan, please let us know!

1 Like

Hi@pat , Yes, CHAR. It woked for A for 65 but it didn’t work for 160. But UNICHAR worked well for all.
I don’t konw why. But it seems I will change all to UNICHAR.

2 Likes

CHAR is for a byte (0-255). In bits (0 or 1) that could be up to 11111111. A very old (more than thirty years) coding thing. It is used in programming languages too. The word to get the number for the letter (ASCII-code) would be ORD. (C++ or some programming language) or VAL(“A”)=65…

UNICODE seems a more newage function. Maybe this exists now too as a function. I am not up to date.

2 Likes