Week 1: Kickoff + Schedule

Hi everyone! Welcome to the study group.

Tomorrow, May 12, we’re officially getting started. :grinning:

The goal is ambitious: trying to complete Mountains 101 in just a month. To help everyone stay on track, every Tuesday, I’ll be sharing a post in the forum summarizing the week ahead. But before going over the Week 1 schedule, I wanted to start with some general information.

• Enrolling in Mountains 101. If you haven’t yet, here’s how to enroll in Mountains 101 on Coursera.

• Class Central Study Group. As you may know, this open study group is an extension of Class Central’s internal study group that we started last year. You can read more about here. We’ll be handling the logistics of running the study group. But besides that, we’ll be taking the course like everyone else. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• Live Sessions. To our delight, @DavidHik, co-creator and co-instructor of Mountains 101, has joined the study group. You can read David’s introduction here. In addition, David has offered to host live sessions exploring topics that go beyond the course material. We’ll soon share more information.

Week 1 — Schedule

Wednesday, May 12 – Tuesday, May 18

On Coursera, Mountains 101 is broken down into 12 weeks/lessons. But we’ll try to cover the entire course in a month. So we’ll be hitting the ground running. In Week 1, the objective is to complete three lessons:

• Lesson 1: Why mountains matter
  • Lesson 2: The origins of mountains
  • Lesson 3: Mountain climates

(You can find the full course schedule here.)

The lessons involve videos lectures, practical tips about how to safely enjoy mountains, interactive world maps where you’ll try to locate specific mountains, quizzes, and lesson summaries.

Each lesson takes about 90 minutes to complete. So you can can expect a weekly workload of 4 to 5 hours. This can seem intense, but one of the aspects that made the original MOOCs so rewarding was precisely that they were challenging. And you can turn to the study group for support: we’re here to help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Have a great week everyone. And as @barboakley would say, happy learning!

7 Likes

Hi Manoel :slight_smile: I’m a bit confused about forums. Do we use the coursera forums as part of this study group or mostly post and discuss on these discourse forums? Will students here be reading the coursera forums and responding there or maybe bringing interesting topics from there over to here? I guess copy and pasting from there to here might be a copyright issue?

Any guidance? This my first Class Central study group.

Hi Beth,

As far as the study group is concerned, everything happens here, in discourse.

This is the first the first time we run an open study group. It’s new for us too. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi Beth. Based on the quality of the audience here and experience with the Coursera discussions forum in recent years, I’ve decided to stick to these discourse forums and ignore the ones from Coursera. I guess most people joined here because they expect a richer interaction than on Coursera. It’s everyone’s own judge call of course. Copy/paste is ok if it is your own content or you get permission from the original author.

Yes, Coursera forums tend to fall flat these days but there are two aspects that make me think we could contribute there also. 1) It helps the Mountains 101 course stay active and vibrant (high ratings) and 2) There are some interesting threads there that might spark conversations here. Maybe we could post a link to any thread we think might be of interest to this group? Or, as you say, if we are the author, copy and paste.

1 Like

While the study group is structured around this discourse forum (you could say the study group is the forum and its members, really), I certainly don’t want to dissuade you from participating in the Coursera forums.

If you see anything here that could be relevant there, feel free to share it. After all, everyone can see these posts, even people that aren’t logged into discourse / haven’t joined the study group.

Conversely, if you see something interesting on the Coursera forums that you’d like to discuss here, don’t hesitate to create a new topic and link to it. I’ll be the first to read it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

A post was split to a new topic: Defining a Mountain

Hi Beth (and everyone).

My suggestion is that you scan the Coursera Discussion Forum threads for additional insight about the content of each Lesson. There have been some interesting questions posed over the past few years, and I have attempted to respond to most of them. Since January 2017 nearly 63,000 learners from over 180 countries have enrolled in the course - with many diverse perspectives and contributions.

And there have also been many fun threads about a wide variety of other mountain topics too - for example, what socks to wear, recommendations for great mountain literature and films, insights about local mountains from all over the world (and lots of photos), editorial clarifications, etc

But that said, I agree that our Learning Group discussions will be easier to follow and interact in this discourse forum. But let’s just see what works best for everyone.

Welcome to Week 1!

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Wearing socks inside out and terminology