The Pursuit of Happyness

Hi everyone!

So yesterday, I finished watching the movie, The Pursuit of Happyness, starring Will Smith. I was a bit late to watch it, considering it’s a 2006 movie. But still, at least I could watch it. :wink:

After taking ALOHAF, anything related to happiness draws my attention, and so did this movie. I haven’t watched a movie this good in a long time. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn’t watched it yet.

I only have one question. In the movie, Chris Gardner (Will Smith) talks about pursuing happiness (as is the name of the movie). But as we saw in ALOHAF, we are supposed to prioritize - but not pursue - happiness. So, is this a contradiction? Did they show it wrong in the movie? Or was Chris actually prioritizing happiness even though he thought he had to pursue it?

Could anyone who has watched this movie help me out? :grinning:

Thanks!

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the movie, but I distinctly remember Will and his son struggle to get by everyday, at their lowest they even struggle for shelter and food. I think a fundamental assumption in ALOHAF is that you have the basic necessities you need to survive. In the Will’s case he equates happiness to be able to reach a state where basic necessities aren’t a struggle, hence he pursues this possibility since he doesn’t have the luxury of prioritising?
Which I think is fair given his situation.

2 Likes

I have the same take as @Mervyn. I think that being able to prioritize happiness implies you’re in a position to pick to begin with. In the movie, Chris (Will) was really struggling, so actively pursuing happiness (continuing to look for a job, caring for his son, etc.) was probably his only choice (other than giving up).

PS: I really loved the movie — Will Smith fantastic in it!

2 Likes

Thank you, @Mervyn and @manoel. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Now I understand the difference. :grinning:

2 Likes