Mud Volcano

Sometimes I feel us taking this course triggered some sort of doomsday scenario :sob:

Apparently a mud volcano exploded in the Caspian Sea.

5 Likes

It seems this mud volcano is the likely culprit:

We learned that Volcanos produce massive amounts of green house gasses . .What is the impact of the mud
Volcano ?

I don’t think you can blame the course!
It’s more likely that we are now more aware of these events and so ‘tune in’ and notice when they appear on the news or in social media feeds.
They happen fairly regularly but before we were primed with the knowledge from the course we let them pass by unnoticed. There are volcanoes erupting most of the time but unless they cause destruction or loss of life we don’t hear about them.

1 Like

For the record, mud volcanoes are very cool…

“Mud volcanoes are geological structures bearing only little morphological resemblances to magmatic volcanoes. In contrast to true volcanoes which expel magmatic material at plate boundaries and mantle plumes, mud volcanoes are formed by vigorous mud discharge that is often accompanied by fluid and gas emissions commonly originating from a deep subsurface sedimentary sequence. Mud volcanoes have a long tradition of scientific investigation and references were already made in historical documents (e.g., ‘‘Naturalis Historia’’ by Pliny the Elder, first century AD).”

(this link should be open access: (PDF) Mud Volcanoes)

4 Likes

Very interesting! This must be what I saw in Japan in 2007 next to a mud bath area (a tiny one though - about 1 m tall and wide). I never asked myself what it was at the time but it was mesmerising watching the bubbles come up and burst. So the gas in those bubbles might have been methane then, judging my that wiki article and the pdf David linked to. Thanks for posting about this.

2 Likes