Lesson 5.2 & 5.3 Water sources

Really enjoyed lesson 5 on Hydrology and all about water in mountains.

In the live session last week, we talked about seeing mountains for more than just beautiful landscapes after learning more about them. All of a sudden they’re complex landforms through which you can understand deep time and explain their characteristics.

I’m sure I’ll look at snow, glaciers, and streams much differently now that I know, for example, what influences the speed they melt, and how plants and soil are part of the natural filtration.

There’s some (probably quite basic :stuck_out_tongue: ) concepts I needed to look up additional sources to understand. I found National Geographic encyclopedia/vocab entries pretty straightforward and helpful. If anyone is on my same level here’s a link to one on water tables and groundwater, with related topics linked at the bottom.

[Water Tables and Aquifers | National Geographic Society

Again, super basic elementary definitions but scrolling through, they also include magnificent images of wells in the Philippines and Morocco so worth looking!

3 Likes

Hi @jacqulynj - Mountains 101 has a Glossary of Terms too - you can find it here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/mountains-101/resources/TgRqL

But of course I also recommend using other sources too - and the NGS vocabulary page is great! Thanks for pointing to it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I really liked the chart of the Bow River sources, it made a lot of sense to me. The increase in jagged diurnal changes was at first a surprise, but then, it was - well, of course!

1 Like

Same here. It really helped me understand the impact of glacier melt. I had no idea they could play such an important role feeding rivers in summer.

4 Likes