Lesson 2 Relationships between Mountain ranges

The break up of Pangea resulting in one mountain range spread amongst 4 modern continents is, for me, one of the interesting facts from this module. The mountains would all be of similar shape, height , and slope. Their base mineral makeup would be the same. Yet, moved into 4 new areas (U.S., Scotland, Norway and Greenland) they would subject to different local climates and sources of colonizing vegetation. I would be interested to visit these places now and really look at the differences and similarities in vegetation.

4 Likes

Hi Elena,
I found it fascinating to learn that the mountains of the Scottish highlands and the Appalachian mountains were from the same gigantic Pangea range.
Melanie

2 Likes

Here’s a cool map showing Pangea with the outlines and positions of our modern political nation states. Incredible Map of Pangea With Modern-Day Borders

3 Likes

And here is another look at Pangea - I like this version a bit more because while it has modern geographical features outlined in the background (e.g. Hudson Bay didn’t exist 240 M years ago) it highlights the physical geography of the Earth during different periods.

And it Is interactive! You can zoom around in time and space, and if you enter the name of your city you can see how that spot on the planet has changed over the past 240 M years. Pretty cool…

6 Likes

This ‘map’ is wonderful! Thank you. Looking forward to Tuesday morning.

That is INCREDIBLE David! Hours of fun on that keeper site. I was so amazed to see that India was a separate land mass at 66 mya then bumped into ‘asia’ around 50 mya to create the Himalayas. Africa was two land masses at 90 mya.

1 Like

These maps are so helpful - when you take classes that talk about "300 mya these critters evolved’ or "the earth cooled and that meant something went extinct’ it’s so easy to forget that “the earth” wasn’t always the globe we picture today.

1 Like

This map is great! I am trying to figure out when and how the Pyrenees formed though - on this map it seems to have been around 50 million years ago but on Wikipedia it says 100-150 million years ago.

edit: After a bit more googling, I found a better website that says “The Pyrenean mountain range was formed between 80 and 20 million years ago as a result of the Iberian landmass (what is now Spain and Portugal) colliding with the much larger Eurasian landmass in the region of what is now southwestern France.” (Pyrenees Mountains in the Languedoc) Now it makes more sense!