Lesson 2: Origins - favorite bits

Another overall note: the white text labels integrated into the videos are great. The animation, size, position, and font are perfect to be informative and eye-catching without being obtrusive. Small design perfections like that bring me joy to notice!

I loved this section!

• My dad often referenced Ussher’s crazily-specific creation date so it was heartwarming to be reminded of it.
  • Great quotes; I loved Thomas Burnet’s “wild, vast, and indigested heaps” and the Mundane Egg.
  • I’ve read about the Burgess shale but never properly visualized where it is; so cool to see the “stone bugs” in situ, and to learn about Pikaia as the first(?) chordate.
  • “Lithosphere” was a familiar term to me, but “asthenosphere” is new - coming from the Greek for “weak”!
  • I’ll try to remember the types of plate interactions and mountain types, all very useful.
  • Fascinating and surprising that the Alps, Andes, and Himalayas are active orogenies but the Rockies is no longer (Appalachians made sense because they are so old). There is so much to learn!
5 Likes

I’m really liking these posts @hcethatsme. The only issue is that you’ve already listed all my favorite bits from Lesson 2. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Maybe one thing that was alluded to in Lesson 1 but really driven home in Lesson 2 conclusion, is that, in addition to science, the course was built with culture and tradition in mind. I really enjoyed learning about the Rockies from Bill and Chief John Snow.

2 Likes

There’s a saying, “Not everything that can be measured matters and not everything that can be measured matters.” We tend to dismiss views that aren’t considered “scientific” but it turns out we’re discovering now what happens when we view the earth as something owned for profit, and something treasured as a resource.

3 Likes