Lesson 12: Future Mountains --- Favorite Bits

Hello, everyone!

Lesson 12 had some many great bits. I can’t list just three this time. Here are my favorite ones.

• Height-dependant warming: this idea that high-elevation areas are more susceptible to the effects of global warming and may foreshadow to some extent what may happen in the future to lowlands.
  • Glacier pictures — the before and after: it really helped drive home the severity of global warming.
  • Climate change & hazards: the fact that climate change can lead to landslides and mountains collapsing as permafrost thaws and mountains’ supports weaken.
  • Forest fires can be good: I knew prescribed burns were a thing, but I didn’t understand why. It just seemed counterintuitive to me. Now it all makes sense.
  • Helitorch: need I say more? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
  • Yellowstone supervolcano: terrifying, but very interesting.
  • [Spoiler Alert] These folks showing up: Steve Martin ! Justin Trudeau ! That was unexpected! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
6 Likes

I wish this class was twice as long! It’s definitely the best MOOC I’ve ever taken. Loved every minute of it, and THANK YOU to Class Central for this great group!

• Climate amplifiers vs climate drivers
  • Ice cores are high-resolution records - thank goodness we’ve kept them! And it’s scary to think that unlike sediments, their existence is itself endangered.
  • Catastrophic events that are not seismic
  • The surveying images that are both beautiful and informative - and depressing in showing how much has changed
  • Heliotorches agreed!
  • The Yellowstone supervolcano has lived in my imagination since learning about it in Bill Bryson’s delightful and informative A Short History of Nearly Everything (if you haven’t read it, I can’t recommend it enough!)
  • Ah, Lawren Harris - I love his art as featured here, but even more his early work along with the rest of the Group of Seven, and especially Tom Thomson. We made a special trip to the McMichael on a subsequent trip to Canada after discovering them at the AGO.
  • It was so much fun to see the special guests - thanks @manoel for hiding them under a spoiler alert to preserve the surprise.
  • One of the most delightful bits of the whole course was the “my favorite mountain is…” cameos at the end. It was great to see so many of the participants. But did David and Zac share their favorites? Maybe back at the beginning?
3 Likes