Lesson 11: Mountains Use --- Favorite Bits

Hi,

I’ll get the favorite bits thread started this time, @hcethatsme :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Here are three of my favorite bits from Lesson 11, on mountains use and preservation:

• Albertine Rift and its unique level of biodiversity — including the mountain gorillas.
  • Underpasses / Overpasses types and the fact that different animals will prefer one over the other.
  • Tech Tips: This lesson’s Tech Tips were my favorite. I simply wasn’t aware of some of the things mentioned in the video, for instance regarding organic waste. Admittedly, I’ve buried a banana peel in the mountains before thinking that it would “feed” the earth. Now I know better: take everything back with me! :slightly_smiling_face:
4 Likes

Thank you, @manoel - a number of things (mostly good but stressful) came up in my life and I’m just finishing up the class now. I’m really glad we did the accelerated schedule so I am not “behind” in Coursera terms. Great stuff in this lesson!

• Indigenous action: Chipko movement and Clayoquot protests - will read up on them
  • I knew of amaranth first, then quinoa became all the rage, but kaniwa is new to me
  • “Amenity migration” - useful phrase that captures something important
  • Peace parks and transboundary bioreserves
  • The crossing structures section was so cool! Coincidentally, I’d been pointed to this great NYT interactive feature on them, which featured one of my favorite videos of all time (the coyote and badger using a culvert to go hunting together).
  • I absolutely loved the tech tip on ethics, especially to think of ourselves as guests of the mountains, plants and animals. I read Aldo Leopold’s Sand County Almanac with my nature/environment book group quite a while ago and was so happy to be reminded of the quote “A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.”
3 Likes