Lesson 10 - Salmon swimming upstream

The fish in freshwater lakes video reminded me of a video I came across recently, of salmon crossing a road during their upstream migration. It blew me away! I had no idea that fish could manage to make progress in such shallow water.

Drive Slowly & Carefully - Skokomish River Salmon Fish Crossing The Road

6 Likes

If you are interested in salmon there is an entire chapter in James Michener book Alaska in which you undergo the life history of a salmon from the salmons
Point of view

1 Like

I’ll check it out! I have read some James Michener books but not Alaska.

That’s so cool Pat! I was worried one might get run over by those trucks but I don’t think any did. But did you see that one fish swim the other way??? lol! Confused salmon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found this live webcam of a waterfall in Alaska. It was very active! Some wolves were standing at the top waiting for salmon that made it up, then a bunch of bears came and had a feast and playtime! https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

3 Likes

My first thought: I’m glad I am not a salmon. Or a bear either, for that matter, having to stand in freezing water waiting for my food to arrive …

1 Like

lol but they were having so much fun! …until one of them fell over the waterfall that is. Silly ol’ bear :wink:

1 Like